We are sold the idea that we need self-awareness. There are many claims made for how self-awareness improves people’s lives and relationships. But in this episode, I talk to Joanne Barry, a therapist and facilitator of emotional education courses, about what the limits of self-awareness are, what we need to be more aware of, and what else we need to really make a difference in our lives and relationships.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How self-awareness can provide an illusion of progress
- How self-awareness can be a distraction from how you really feel
- How self-awareness necessarily leads to being uncomfortable feelings
- How we also need self-compassion, commitment, and a range of other skills
- Where we can go to get the awareness, compassion, commitment, and skills we need